Something creative is brewing in Salt Lake City.
 |
| West Elm stores are known for one fabulous vignette after another. |
When
West Elm announced they were building a store on Main Street in the center of downtown, I was just happy I didn't have to haul treasures back from Portland anymore. For years I made pilgrimages to West Elm stores in hip cities around the country. I realize it's the 21st century and as a society we've created access to catalog/shipping services, but whatever. I travel a lot already and I'm tactile with my shopping habits. At any rate, beyond the massive convenience of having them five blocks from my home, they also concocted a creative collaboration with the cool local cats of
Craft Lake City.
 |
| Artist Melinda Fisher introduces herself and our project for the evening. |
 |
| Seems simple enough, right? It's not. At all. |
 |
| Craft your way into the center and you earn a stone... |
 |
| In addition to awesome people, how gorgeous is this setting for a workshop like this? |
I have a whole new respect for jewelry artists. I will never ever again balk at etsy prices or choke when I see arts festival price tags. This was not easy. Either that or I'm entirely talentless, but hey, I chose to say it's legitimately difficult. It was actually an excellent meditation exercise, which I didn't anticipate. I had to let go and give into the imperfection of it all. I was not going to make a symmetrical dreamcatcher and instead I focused energy on shutting down my OCD and laughing with everyone at my table about how hard this is.
 |
| I'm workin' it out. |
 |
| ta-da! |
Malinda Fisher has a
giant dreamcatcher installation downtown. I want to check it out and participate, I just haven't had time to make it over there yet. I love the whole concept. Has anyone in SLC seen it yet?
The next Craft Lake City + West Elm workshop is
bookbinding. I cannot wait. Oh, the nerdy fantasticness of it all.